Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Learning Japanese - Part 27, Page 5

This page is mostly pretty simple Japanese, so I'll try to cover as many panels at once as I can.

奥さんの具合はどうだい、 ムッシュ
おくさん の ぐあい は どうだい、 ムッシュ

Okusan - wife
no - possessive
guai - condition
wa - subject marker
dou - how
dai - casual male form of "desu ka?"
Musshu - other guy's name

wife's . condition . (subject) . how . is. (?) . Musshu

"How's the wife, Mushu?"

The only real note here is that I shortened the friend's name to "Mushu" because it's easier to read. "Musshu" in Romaji looks like a spelling mistake.

----

あいかわらず です よ オフィサー

なに体はどっこも悪くないんですよ
なに からだ は どっこも わるくないんですよ

aikawarazu - same as always
desu - polite form of "is"
yo - emphasizer
ofisaa - officer

nani - what
karada - body
wa - subject marker
dokkomo - emphasized version of "everywhere"
warukunai - negative form of "warui", bad
n desu - that is the fact
yo - same yo as above

same as always . is . officer
what . body . (subject) everywhere . not bad . is the fact

"Same as ever, Officer. There's nothing wrong with her body."

The "n desu" contraction is very common in spoken Japanese, but it's not something that I really understand, myself. I can pick up on it if someone else uses it, but I can't figure out how to put it into a sentence when I'm the one talking. Now, the above two sentences work in combination with the next one coming up. Even though Mushu is speaking in polite Japanese, he's still somewhat friendly with our hero. For this reason, I chose the following interpretation.

"Same are ever, Officer. Physically, she's fine."

---

ただちょっと記憶が。。。 もう年でね
ただ ちょっと きおく が。。。 もう とし でね

tada - but
chotto - little
kioku - memory
ga - topic marker
mou - already
toshi - age
dene - shortened form of "desu ne", is + tag question

but . a little . memory ... already . age . is right?

"but her memory... it's her age, you know?"

"chotto kioku ga" has the implication that there's something wrong with her memory. Coupled with "mou toshi dene", it's pretty obvious what's going on. Also, we have "年" which can either be read as "toshi" or "nen". "toshi" has the closer meaning of "age", but I think that "nen" could also be used here. If anyone can correct me on this, please do so. The version I went with is:

"But, her memory... Her age is catching up to her."

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment