Friday, August 28, 2009

Don Dracula, Chapter 1, Part 4 Page 3

Here's page 3.



Panel 2
われはドラキュラ伯爵!トランシルヴァニアの霧の中よりただいま参上!
I am the Earl Dracula!!  I have come here from the mists of Transylvania!

ウヒヒヒヒヒヒヒヒ。。。。。
Uwa hee hee hee......

3
ガリ!!
Scrape!!

4
ヒーッ  テテテ。。。。。
Hi -  Ow ow ow....

5
ここんところ歯。。。 がういて。。。。
なんとかしなけりゃいかんなア
This tooth here...  is getting loose...
Not much I can do about it...

6
われはドラキュラ伯爵!トランシルヴァニアの霧の中。。。
I am the Earl Dracula!  From the mists of Transylvania...

Technically, it's "in the middle of the mists of Transylvania", and it's pretty much the first half of the lines from the previous panels.  To be consistent, I should take the first half of my last line and use "I have come here from..."  But, "From the mists of Transylvania..." is close to the original Japanese phrase, and it echoes Dracula's frustration at not being able to complete the scene right.

7
おとうさんただいまー
Father, I'm home!

"Otousan" is a very polite version of "father".  Initially, I wanted to use "Daddy, I'm home", which would have worked just as well.  But, Chocola uses extremely polite speech throughout the strip, and it is in keeping with Dracula's being elite European royalty.

1 comment: