Saturday, August 29, 2009

Don Dracula, Chapter 1, Part 5 Page 4

Here's page 4.



Panel 1
ねーっ きょう 新宿へおいしいものたべにつれてってくれる約束でしょー
Neh - you promised that we'd get something delicious to eat in Shinjuku-

One word that just does not translate into English is "Ne-", which is usually drawn out and spoken in a way to sound cute.  It's generally used to get someone's attention, but it also can be a way to get agreement from the listener.  The nearest equivalent is "Hey", but that's too loud and abrupt for Chocola's character.  So, I'm keeping with "neh" as a close counterpart.

そうだよだからしたくしてあるのだ
Yes I did, so I'm getting ready now.

美人の血 飲みにつれってやろうというのだ
I said we'd drink a beautiful person's blood.

Technically, "美人" is used to refer to a "beautiful woman", but it could be either a man or woman in some instances.  It's vague enough to allow Chocola to reinterpret it later on.  "I said we'd drink a beautiful person's blood" is a bit stiff, but I want to use it here to preserve the joke later on.

Panel 2
うれしい学校給食ってミルクばっかり飲ますからひもじいの
Yay!  All we have at elementary school is milk all the time.  I'm hungry!

Literally, "うれしい" just means "Happy".  "I'm happy" is not normal speech here, and "that makes me happy" isn't any better.  I prefer the standard child's response in cases like this, of "Yay!"

学校じゃ他人の血を飲んじゃいかんぞ
At school, it's not right to drink other people's blood.

Panel 3
血は美人の血にかぎるってほんと?
We're having blood from a beautiful person?  Really?

Technically, it should be "Is the blood really going to be from a beauty?"  But I prefer the above wording here.

ああほんとだ
Ahh, really.

Panel 4
美人の血はな   熱く 情熱に満ち恋のかおりがする
You know, a beauty's blood is hot, filled with passion and the scent of
love.

飲みつづけるとー
I just want to keep drinking it---

コーラのようにやめられなくなる
It's enough to make you want to give up cola.

Panel 5
ドーンドーンドーン
Bang, bang bang

あっ だれがきたわよ
Ah, someone's here.

またあいつだっ
Her again!

Dracula uses "aitsu" here, which is just a less polite form of "that person".  There's no sense of gender in this word, but it's clear that Dracula knows who it is.  We'd expect the line to be "Him again" if it was a male intruder, so that's why I made the leap to "Her again!"

Panel 6
バターン
いたー
Slam
There you are!

"いたー" could have a couple different interpretations, from "itadakimasu" (I'm about to have fun with you) to "imashita" (polite form of "you exist", meaning "you are here").  I'm going with "There you are!" meaning "I found you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment