Monday, September 21, 2009

Kurin, Page 3

Here's page 3.

Panel 1
うわー
Wow-

いざ、空の旅へ! ラーイド。オン。タイム
Now, an air flight! Ride on Time.

I'm pretty sure the katakana says "raido", for "ride", rather than "raito" for "right". I'd expect a phrase like "right on time", but I'm going with "ride on time" in the expectation that this is a pun.

Panel 2
もー めちゃ楽しみ。イオ君は始めてじゃないんだよね飛行機?
This is really fun! Io, isn't this your first time on a plane?

Kurin refers to him as "Io-kun" as a form of familiarity, still as just a friend. I'm dropping the "-kun" here because it's kind of distracting.

あー まあね。。。
Ah --, I guess...

Panel 3
お気楽でいいよなー。 お守り役の身にもなってほしいよ
She's really light-hearted. I wish I wasn't here as just her babysitter.

"kiraku" is "at ease" or "comfortable" Neither phrase works well for Io, so I went with "light-hearted". Maybe I should have gone with "carefree". Io then thinks that he wants to be here not in the role of babysitter. So, I chose "not just as her babysitter" to show that he wants to be here, but as a friend, not a caretaker.

Panel 4
えらいことになった! くりんが私の知らない間に。。。
This is terrible! While I wasn't paying attention...

くりんのパパ。東森先生
Kurin's papa, Sensei Higashimori.

応募した少年チャンピオンの懸賞で沖縄旅行を当ててしまったのだ
Kurin won a free trip to Okinawa from a Shonen Champion prize drawing.

チャンピオンはそんな豪華な賞品はできません。 でもラッキーじゃん?
Champion doesn't offer such a great prize. But, that's good, right?

"doesn't offer such a great prize" doesn't come across quite right, but it's in keeping with the original text. It may have been better to say "Champion doesn't offer such high-ticket prizes".

In this case, "lucky" is used to mean "that is lucky", or "that's a good thing".

No comments:

Post a Comment