Monday, October 19, 2009

Don Dracula, Chapter 4, Page 10

Here's the text from page 10



Panel 1
どうやって?  どっか掘るの
How?  Where will you drill?

Panel 2
そんなノンビリしたことしておられるか 手段を選ぶヒマはないっ。  石油船を乗っ
取るのだっ
I don't have the time for such a carefree approach.  I'm going to hijack an oil tanker.

"nonbiri" is carefree.  I could have used "I don't have time to dilly-dally", or something equivalent., but I wanted to keep the meaning from "nonbiri".  "I don't have time for such a carefree approach" sounds stilted in English, though.

Panel 3
じゃ 泥棒じゃん
So, you're going to be a thief.

"jan" is a shortened form of "ja nai", giving "well, thief isn't it".  I used the above wording because it fits her tone of voice.

そうだ 泥棒もやむをえんわい。 ドラキュラ家の名誉のためだ。
That's right. I'll even resort to thievery.  It's for the honor of the Dracula name!

Panel 4
チョコラもてつだえ
You'll help, too.

いやアン  泥棒のてつだいなんか
Iyan! I don't want to be an assistant thief!

"iyan" is a version of "iya", meaning "I don't like it" or "I don't want to".  It's also a cute sound effect and I decided to keep it as it is.

Literally, we have "no, thief's help something".  Or, "I don't like it, something like a thief helper".  I went with "Iyan! I don't want to be an assistant thief" because it reads a little better.

よいか すこし長旅になるぞかぜをひかぬようにせい
Are you ready? This may be a long trip, so take care to not catch a cold.

"yoi ka" can mean "is it good" or "are you willing to do this?"  In this case, though, it can have the meaning of "are you ready to leave?"

No comments:

Post a Comment