Sunday, December 6, 2009

Tensai Bakabon, Chapter 1, Page 9

Here is the text for page 9.

Panel 1
そうじゃないよ!! わからないパパだなあ!!
That's not it!! Papa doesn't understand!!

Here's where we run into the cultural differences between Japanese and western speakers. Literally "not understand . papa . is".  This becomes " 'the not understanding papa' is".  In English, we'd want to use a pronoun and address the statement directly at the other person, as in "you don't understand", or "you're not catching on here".  But, Bakabon's not supposed to be very smart, and I can get away with baby talk here by having him substitute the pronoun with "papa".

Panel 2
わからないのはバカボンなの!!  よし証拠をみせてやるのだ!!
Bakabon's the one that doesn't understand!! Ok, I'll show you!!

Panel 3
どうだ!! わしは家にいないだろう!!
Well? I'm not in the house, right?

そうじゃないよー
That's not it...

I'm treating "sou ja nai" literally.  "yo" is an emphasizer that also softens the sentence and isn't needed in English.  In common conversation, we'd say "that's not what I mean" or "that's not what I meant".  But, I'd rather have Bakabon come off looking foolish here.

Panel 4
バカなむすこをもつと 親は 苦労するのだ!!
Having an idiot son is so troublesome!!

"Motsu" is this context has more of the meaning of "belongs to" or "is a part of", rather than "possessing" or "owning".   The sentence reads closer to "having a son, to a father, causes hardships".  Or, "having a child is so inconvenient to the parent".

Panel 5
やあ さっきはでぃうも!!
Hi, thanks for the fortune earlier!!

Actually, this is "before . topic . thanks". But, we need to add the context here for this to make sense in English.  "Thanks for earlier" or "thanks for before" isn't very clear.  The more common phrase would be "thanks for telling me my fortune earlier".

『易』
[Fortune]

The kanji on the table cloth and the lantern is just letting us know what his job is.

Panel 6
わしが金曜日の三時に死ぬって ほんとにあたるんでしょうな?
You said I'll die on Friday at 3 PM, will you really be spot on?

わしをうたがうのか!!
You don't trust me?!

I guess I should explain here why I'm using "?!" instead of "!!".  Basically, the "ka" in the sentence is a spoken question mark and the subsequent exclamation marks are emphasizing his indignation.  To get that same feel in my translation, I'm converting "ka" to "?" and then dropping one of the two "!!" actually, I'm dropping the first one).

Panel 7
よし!! もう一度みてやろう!!
Alright!! I'll try again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment