Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tensai Bakabon, Chapter 2, Page 9

Here is the text for page 9.

Panel 1
これはいいものを手に入れたのだ!!
This is a good thing to have gotten my hands on!!

Panel 2
そう!! たしかにいいものです!!
Yes, it's a very good thing.

Panel 3
その笛を五十万円でゆずってはくださらぬか?
Will you give me that flute for 500,000 yen?

At the time of this manga, the exchange rate from yen to the U.S. dollar was probably about 300 yen to $1.  So maybe about $1,600 for the flute.

くださらぬのだ!!
No!!

Literally, this is "won't give".  I don't like "I won't give it to you" here because it doesn't fit in a regular conversation.  Plus, money is involved, so it would be more proper to use "I won't sell it for that little" or "you can't have it".  Simply saying "no" works even better.

Panel 4
五百万円でわ?
For 5 million yen?

くださるのだ!!
You can have it!!

Panel 5
そんなにはない。。。
I don't have that much...

ではしつれいします
Then I'll be going.

Panel 6
まてまてまて!!
Wait, wait, wait!!

Panel 7
おねがいだ!! なんでもいうこときくから!!
Please, I'll do whatever you want!!

なんでもいうこときくやつはいるのだ!!
I already have someone like that!!

Actually, he's saying something closer to "I already have someone who'll do what I want!!", but that won't fit into the balloon.  I'm not really sure that going down a font size to make the text fit in the balloons gives me anything that's readable that small. I'm using 14 point Ariel right now, and I'm trying to avoid using 12 point as much as I can.

Panel 8
わしもきく!!
Order me too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment