Sunday, January 24, 2010

Garo features, #1

I apologize to those of you who have been following Nihongo Hunter for the Japanese translation notes.  I'm getting a little too busy to keep up my previous schedule, with one new translated page a day, and I haven't found anything that I want to tackle next.  Instead, I'm going to be reviewing monthly issues of the old Garo magazine spanning from 1966 to 1970 on my ThreeStepsOverJapan blog, and I'll feature here one or two stories from each issue that I like.  So, this blog is going to a weekly update, maybe every Monday or Friday (I haven't decided yet).

If you want to translate the stories yourself, feel free.  And if you'd like comments on your work, post a reply here with it.

To start things off, we have a wordless strip called "Koma" ("Panel") by Tatsuji Namiki, and a horror short by Shigeru Mizuki called "10,000 Person Man".  Click on the picture to go to the scans album to view the pages directly.  Both stories are from the July, 1966, #23 issue of Garo.




Click here for the 10,000 Person Man story.  A monster in the shape of a house, living deep in the woods, eats people.  The more it eats, the more it evolves, going from a simple cabin to a hot spring spa, etc.



Click here for the Koma story.  This one is self-explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment