Monday, April 19, 2010

War - Part 1

Ok, I know that I said I wasn't going to be translating any more manga for a while for Nihon-go Hunter, because I wanted to focus my efforts on writing up the summaries and commentary for as many of the Garo issues as I could. However, two things have come together to make me change my mind. First, there was a very specific request for me to take on Sampei Shirato's "War". Second, I finished processing the Garo issues up to Dec. 1967, which gives me 18 months of manga in the bag, and completes my first full year of issues (i.e. - all of 1967). On top of this, I've written a visual basic script to automate the process of creating the HTML pages for the Garo issue index and artist details pages, which promises to speed up all future work. So I sat down and spent a day typing up the Japanese dialog and then translating it. It's kind of a rough translation, and it's not word for word (just a warning to any translation purists out there). But, hopefully it'll be good enough to help promote Sampei's manga to those of you not familiar with it.

I'm only running the script here (it's long enough that I'll break it up over 2-3 days). If someone wants to take the scanned pages and photoshop in the text, just make sure to include my name in the credits and a link back to this blog. Thanks.


Page 1

戦争 - War
その恐怖の記録 - Record of that Terror
白土三平 - Sampei Shirato

第一語 金髪のジェシカ - Chapter 1, Blonde Jessica

余は、 男も女も、 子どもも、ポーランド生まれの、ポーランド語を話すすべての者に、 慈悲も、あわれみもなく、死をもたらすであろう。 それが余にとって、 生けるために必要な土地を得るただ一つの道などだ。
1939年 アドルフ。ヒットラー
I will not show pity or compassion to any man, woman or child born in Poland or who speaks Polish. I will kill them all. That is the path I've chosen to obtain that land. Adolph Hitler, 1939.


Page 2
Panel 3
バババババ
budabuda

Panel 6
ガガガガガ
bam bam bam

Page 3
Panel 1
アアーッ!
Ahhhh!

ウワッ!
uwah!

Panel 2
く、くそっ!
Damn!

Panel 3
ガガガガ
bam bam bam

Panel 4
ウワーッ!
Ugh!

Panel 5
ドサ!
splash

Panel 6
ポール! ジェシカ。。。
Paul! Jessica...

Panel 7
パパ!
Papa!

Panel 9
シキ
Spin

Panel 10
ガガガ
bam bam bam

Page 4
Panel 4
ボコ
slip

Panel 5
八ッ!
Hah!

Panel 7
オイ! よくさがせ!
Hey, search well!

まだそのへんにかくれてるかもしれん。。。
There may still be others hiding.


Page 5
Panel 3
いないようだな。。。
Looks like no one here...

ウム。。。。。
Jah...

Panel 4
オイ! ウイシキー
Hey, whisky!

よこせ!
Throw it over!

Panel 7
チッ!
Keh!

Panel 9
ガチガチ
chatter chatter


Page 6
Panel 2
オッ!
Oh!

Panel 3
ハハハ こんなとこにいやがったか
Got one here, eh?

Panel 5
ハハハハ
ha ha ha

Panel 7
ガガガガ
bam bam bam

Panel 8
ゲッ!
geh!

Panel 9
アッ!
Ah!

なんだ!
What!


Page 7
Panel 1
ドタドタ
tramp tramp

Panel 3
クルト!
Kurt!

ちくしょうポルチザンンめ!
Those damn partisans!

Panel 4
だめだ!
Too late!

胸のど真ん中をやられている!
Straight through the chest!

Panel 6
とってい的にさがせ!
Spread out!

まだそのへんにいるはずだ
They're still here.

Panel 8
1945 年
Year 1945


Page 8
Panel 1
連合軍およびソ連軍は全戦線をしめた。
The Soviet part of the Allied Forces have breached the front lines.

Panel 2
ガガーン
ka-whump

Panel 3
ドドドド
rumble

Panel 4
同年1月。。。 ポーランドはソ連軍とポーランド。パルチザンの連合軍によって解放された
January of that year... Soviet and Polish partisan forces liberated Poland.

Panel 5
ワーワーワーワー
crowd noises

Panel 6
スパシーボ
Spasibo (Russian for "thank you")

タワーリシチ タワーリシチ
Tovarishichi Tovarishichi (Russian for "business partner", and maybe "friend").

Panel 7
ボリス 手紙だ
Boris, letter.

Page 9
Panel 1
子供からか。。。
From your kid?

ミーシカからだ
It's from Mishka.

Panel 3
もう戦争も終ったすぐ帰るよ 早くあいたいなあ。。。
The war's over, I'll go back home soon. I want to see them now...

Panel 4
カラ!
clatter

Panel 5
オッ! 金髪だ!
Oh, blond hair!

ジェシカだよ
That's Jessica.

Panel 6
おいでキャラメル上げよう
Come out, I'll give you caramels.

Panel 8
おまち
Wait!

ジェシカ!
Jessica!


Page 10
Panel 3
おまち!
Wait!

Panel 5
どうしたの? しんぱいない
What's wrong? Don't worry.

Panel 6
そら おかしだよ
Look, candy.

Panel 8
ハハハハ どうしたんだでておいで
Hahaha. It's ok, come on out.


Page 11
Panel 1
ウッ!
Uww!

ガーン
blam

No comments:

Post a Comment