Friday, May 27, 2011

Akihio Itou Interview from AA

There aren't many interviews with Akihiro tou that I know of, and I haven't seen any in English. The one I do know of is at the end of Geobreeders: Atomic Attack, when Imakake sat down to talk out the plans for AA in advance. I was hoping for a few more revelations but the majority of the transcript is fairly superficial. In any case, I did want to at least try to get this one out onto the net. In several cases I paraphrased Itou's answers, so if you see anything where the translation could be more accurate, let me know and I'll make the corrections then. I'm including the Japanese script here for reference, if you want it.
-------------------------------------------


Before the Attack!


Two guys in heated discussions...!

During the Fall of 1995, Itou and Imakake met in a family restaurant in the suburbs of Ayagane City to discuss the battles in Atomic Attack. Below is the excerpt of that meeting.

Itou (I) : Nice to meet you!
Imakake (K): My pleasure!

I: I brought the "Votoms" manga.
K: Uwah... Thank you! I asked the editorial department for these three days ago and never heard back from them. It was rumored they'd been packed in tin cans. (^_^)

I: I've never had that problem. I just narrowly escape all the time... (^_^) When I read the manga as it was being serialized, I'd gone "Wow, this is great!" and I bought the volumes right away. Which, unbelievably, brings us to today. (^_^)
K: I know, right? Actually, when I was just starting in anime, a long time ago, I was on another project and I just sat down and read all of the Geobreeders manga at once, just like that.

I: Recently, when I was talking with the editorial department and they said your name, I answered "no way, I'll take care of it right away!"

K: Shall we get right into the questions?...
I: Ok.

K: The Vamos is fundamentally a really normal vehicle, right?
I: I have no idea. (^_^) I know very little about cars... Even though I draw them myself!

K: Eh! But you create these fanatically-detailed vehicles.
I: It's because there are car fanatics out there that can look at a picture, no matter how messed up it is, and say "it's this particular vehicle" just based on some set of details.

K: Why did you select the Vamos?
I: Because it's easy to draw.

K: What! It's not difficult?
I: But, no matter what you do with it, you can tell what it is. (^_^)

K: What do you use for reference materials? You don't just cruise around town all the time, right?
I: I'll look at mini-cars in catalogs and draw them.

K: That's great. I plan on using the Vamos myself. Is it ok if I remodel it?
I: Please change it as much as you like.

K: I'm not intending to alter the outer appearance, though.
I: You say you want to change it, but I don't understand what you would change. (^_^)

K: Changing the topic, regarding weapons, is there anything you'd say like "use this one"?
I: As a foundation, for Hound, use the latest ones. Umezaki likes older guns... Everything else are special cases.

K: When you say "older", what will you allow?
I: Umezaki likes the major ones where the model guns are no longer available for sale. The kinds where an older gun collector would say "I have that one", that kind of thing.

K: I see. Not ones preferred for actual fighting, but those turned into plastic model guns.
I: She'll pick the ones that are really impractical.

K: In volume 3, Umezaki was looking for references on a "long weapon" although she never actually found it...
I: Ah, the Bren light machine gun wasn't it. I remember looking at either "Monthly GUN" or "Combat Magazine" and thinking "I wish I had one". (^_^)

K: What do you use for reference materials?
I: I'll fish through magazines at old bookstores. Although, getting my hands on the model guns is also good. Though, if they're rare, they get very expensive... I'll pick what's needed to draw from. But, sometimes I'll think "I want to draw that!" and I'll use whatever I can get.

K: I see.
I: I'm just talking. I don't really think about the details. (^_^)

K: But the results still look great.
I: I want to be at the level of the Votoms manga. Just looking at the story crammed in that page count, I could never do that no matter how many pages I drew.

K: Then in the last two volumes the page count went up. Although he was the comic-ilizing the anime; he had the outline and schedule, and after that he had a lot of freedom...
I: Think the same way about "AA". Do what you want with it.

K: Let's get to the main conversation. The majority of your cars are cute, right?
I: Actually, while there are specific rules, I don't draw cars with lots of curves. Pretty much nothing if it's not boxy. (^_^).

K: In that case, it's no problem putting foreign cars in the "Geobreeders" universe if they have lots of straight lines?
I: No, it's just that I can't draw draw them.. Imakake-san, you can draw whatever you like.

K: I want to stay as close to the original image as possible...
I: Conversely I want the opposite. (^_^)

K: By the way, you really like guns, don't you.
I: I don't think of guns that way. While I hear "is he a gun lover or a military fan", I don't think I'm either one.

K: Eh?
I: I like pictures of "gun fights"... That's why I don't draw revolvers.

K: If there's no ejecting shells, it's a dull image. (^_^)
I: A contest of who has the most cartridges! (^_^)

K: Well then in "Atomic Attack", where we see what the cats in Mahama (the setting of the story) are thinking and doing, the main focus will be on the one called Manx...
I: It's not a very flashy summary, eh.

K: And the Kagura members won't be making an appearance either..., I think...
I: It's no problem if they don't appear. (Paraphrased) I want to see what happens in my world. (burst of laughter)

K: What will happen to Manx after this book?
I: Well, he may reappear... (^_^)

K: As a very ordinary old man, though.
I: With that kind of character, that'd be great!

K: Then, with Irie and Kuro-Neko... and the Mahama cats... (discussion of plot omitted) I've been thinking of lots of possibilities. Is this ok?
I: It's fine! Hmm, I like it!! I'm thoroughly sold.

K: I'm having problems with names for the new cats, though.
I: Usually I don't come up with names until the end. Initially I had rules, but I gave up on them. Lately I've just been using a picture book for ideas. That's what happened with "Rudo" in the anime.

K: I'd also like to tie this together with the beginning of volume 6.
I: Giving the impression that this is all being compressed together, eh.

K: I think it would be good, if possible.
I: Might be fun.

K: Ah, it wouldn't be impermissible for Taba to investigate the nuclear power plant, would it?
I: It's ok! I'll fix the beginning of volume 6 to read "Third Mahama Power Plant Capture". (^_^)

K: Thank you. I'll work hard on making the 2nd capture then. I'm worried about properly setting up Hound's actions and Irie's speculations, though.
I: Because there's going to be lots of great puzzles, right? (^_^) When I reread my works , there's lots of times when I can't remember what the answer was supposed to be for a specific puzzle.

K: I'm worried about following up on Vashuka's trip to Russia.
I: I did have plans for that. Vashuka escaping in a jeep in the snow... Hound pursuing... I gave up on it Snow... mountain... night... Ahhh, I thought it'd be fun, too...

K: Ok, I'll do that then. (^_^) Though, I'd like more clear reasoning for the occupation of Mahama...
I: In fact, that comes later.

K: Ah, is that right. Ok, I'll handle that carefully. By the way, what is Manx's position in the organization?
I: No idea. (^_^) Haven't thought about it.

K: He could be going up or down. Well, I'll try to help him out.
I: That's great!!

K: This has been a very boring discussion for you.
I: Not at all, it's been fun. Good luck!!

K: Thank you very much.



(Transcribing and editing: OURsLITE Editorial Dept.)


--------------------------------------------
Original Japanese text.

『前夜』

熱く語り合う二人。。。!

平成12年秋、アトミック アタック連戦に先立ち綾金近郊のファミレスにて 伊藤。今掛両氏の顔合わせ兼打ち合わせが行われた。 以下はその抜粋である。

伊藤(以下/ 伊) 始めまして!
今掛(以下/ 今) よろしくお願いします

伊 わたし、ボトムズの単行本持ってるんですよ
今 うわあ... ありがとうございます。 あれ連戦中に一度、編集部に呼び出されてそのまま3日間帰らせてもれらえなかった事があったんですよね。ああ、これが噂に聞く缶詰めってやつかと(笑)

伊 わたしまだ経験ないですね。何時もギリギリの所で回避してる。。。(笑) ボトムズの漫画は連載の時から読んでて、『うわあカッコイイ』と思ってて... 単行本もすぐに買って...。 それがまさか、こう云う事に成るとは(笑)
今 本当ですね。実は最初のアニメ化の時に、結局は流れちゃったんですけど、平行して別企画が在ったんですよ。 そっちで声が掛かってたんでジオブリ全巻渡されて読んでました。

伊 今回、編集部から話しが有った時今掛さんの御名前が出て、『いやもう是非に!』って答えちゃいました。

今 早速なんですが、具体的に伺いたい事が幾つか...
伊 はい

今 バモスって基本的にノーマルのままですよね?
伊 判んないっす(笑) 実はあんまり車の事判んないんですよ... 自分で描いてても!

今 ええ! そうなんですか? 結構マニアックな車を出されてますよね
伊 あれは詳しい奴が居るんです。絵がなんぼ崩れても、その車だって判る車って何かないかって聞くと『こんなのが有るよ』って...

今 バモスに決めた理由は?
伊 描け易い車だって事で

今 ええっ! 難しいじゃないですか描くの
伊 でも多少崩れてもバモスだって判りますから(笑)

今 資料とかどうしてるんですか? もう街中でも見掛ないですよね
伊 カタログのコピーとミニカーを見て描いてます

今 凄いですね。バマスを出す予定なんですが改造しちゃって平気ですか?
伊 もう、どんどんやっちゃって下さい

今 外見が変わるような事はしないつもれすけど
伊 此処をこう云う風に改造しましたと云われても実は判りません (笑)

今 ちなみに銃器係で『これは使ってくれるな』とか有りますか?
伊 ハウンドは最新式、 梅崎は古いのが好きってのが基本なんですが... それ以外は特には。

今 古いってどの辺りまで許されるんでしょう?
伊 梅崎が好むのはモデルガンが発売されてる様な、 メジャーな感じの奴なんです。昔のモデルガンマニアが『ああ持っていたね、こう云うの』って云いそうな奴ですね

今 なるほうど、実戦で有名な奴とかじゃ無くて、モデルガンになってるかどうかが基準なんですね
伊 実際にはあんまり役に立って無い様な奴を選んでますね

今 3巻で梅崎が使ってる長物(ナガモノ)の資料を探したんですけど、見つけられなっくって...
伊 イギリスのブレンガンですかね、月刊GUNかコンバットマガジンだかに載ってるのを見て『いいなあ』って思って出したんですよ (笑)

今 資料探しはどうしてるんですか?
伊 古本屋で雑誌を漁ってます。モデルガンを手に入れられたら善いんですけど。 中々手が出せない値段だったりするんで...。 割と適当に選んで描いてます。 その時、描きたいって思った奴を描いてるんですね。もっと極端な事を云ってしまうと。ああこの銃を描きたいって思ったら、それが使える状況の話を1本作っちゃたります。

今 なるほど
伊 雪山の話なんかがそれですね。後先何にも考えてませんから (笑)

今 それでちゃんと収めちゃうとこが凄いですよ
伊 ボトムズの漫画も相当凄かったですよ。あんだけの話あのページ数の中に入ってるですもん。わたしだったら数十倍ページを使うわないと無理っす。

今 さすがに最後の二本分だけは無理だったんで増ページしてもらったんですよ。。。あれはアニメのコミカライズでしたが、実は設定と脚本だけもらって。 後は自由にやらせてもらったんですが...。
伊 『AA』 も同じ調子で、自由にやって下さい

今 話は戻りますが、車は可愛い系のが多いですよね?
伊 実は明確な法則が有って、曲線の多いデザインの車は出ないんです。四角い車しか出ない。描けないから(笑)

今 例えば外国の車を出そうとした時に、ジオブリの世界として四角っぽい車であれば問題ないですか?
伊 いや、わたしが 描け無いからそう言う選択に成っているだけで、今掛さんは自由にやって下さい。

今 なるべくイメージは近くしておきたいんですが...。
伊 逆にこちらが取り入れさせてもらいます(笑)

今 ところで、銃ホントにお好きですよね
伊 銃そのものにはそんなに思い入れが無いんですよ。ガンマニアなのかミリタリーマニアなのか...どっちなんだ? とよく訊かれますが、どっちでも無いんです。

今 えっ?
伊 『銃撃戦』と云う画面が好きなんですね... だからリボルバーは出て来ない

今 排莢されないから画面が地味になっちゃいますしね (笑)
伊 薬莢の量で勝負! (笑)

今 それで、『アトミックアタック』なんですが。 真浜で猫たちが何をして、何を考えていたかと云う部分をマンクスをメインに進めて行こうと思っているんですが...。
伊 それはまた渋い事に成りそうですね

今 なんとか神楽のメンバーも出さなくてなくては... と思って居るんですが...。
伊 出なくても全然問題ないッス。 わたしは特殊な読者ですから凄く嬉しいんですけど... 世の中的にはどうなんでしょ? (爆笑)

今 マンクスって今後本編に絡んできます?
伊 うーん多分出てこないんじゃないかと(笑)

今 ごく普通のおじさんになってますけど。
伊 そーゆーキャラ、いいっすねえ!

今 で、入江と黒猫を... それで真浜の猫達を...... (以下、構想を語る)... と云う様な事を考えているんですが。 その辺は大丈夫ですか?
伊 大丈夫です! うーんわたし好み!! すっかりお客さんになってますな。

今 新しく出て来る猫のネーミングが問題なんですが。
伊 わたしも困ってます。 なるべく名前を出さないで済む様にしてます。 最初は法則に合わせてやっていたんですけど、ネタ切れです。 最近は絵本とかにまで手を伸ばしてて、アニメ版の『ルド』なんかそっちの方から取っちゃいましたし。

今 で、コミックス6巻の頭に繋がる形で決着を着けたいと思ってます。
伊 ぎゅうううと詰まった集団劇って印象ですね

今 そんな感じになればいいなと思ってます。
伊 なんだかニコニコしちゃいますね

今 あっ、田波が原発の構造とか調べて許しくなったりしたらまずいですか?
伊 大丈夫です! ちまにに単行本の6巻の頭を『第3 次真浜原発攻略戦』に直しましたから。 (笑)

今 有り難うございます、頑張って第2次をやります。ハウンドの動きと入江の思惑なんかを上手く繋げられるか不安は在るんですが。
伊 なんか追い詰められたんで謎にしちゃってる所が結構有りますからね (笑) 自分で読み返していて、あれ? この謎の答えは何だってかなって思い出せない所が沢山在るんですよ。

今 ヴァシュカのロシア行きとかフォローしようかどうか悩んでます。
伊 予定は在ったんですよ。 ヴァシュカが雪の中をジープで逃げ回って、ハインドが追い掛けるってのをやりたかったんですが、ページの関係で諦めました... 雪、山、 夜、 で。 ああ楽だって思ってたんですが...。

今 じゃあ、それやりましょう (笑)。 真浜占領の目的って云うのも明確にしたいんですが...。
伊 実はそれ後の話に絡んで来るんです。

今 あっそうなんですか、じゃあ慎重に扱わないと。 ちなみにマンクスて組織の中ではどんなポジションなんでしょう?
伊 判んないっス (笑) あんまりそーゆーの考えてないんっす。

今 立場を上にも下にも出来そうなんですが。 まあ兎も角マンクスに頑張ってもらおうかと。
伊 いいですねえ!!

今 傾向として、非常に淡々とした話になっちゃいそうなんですが。
伊 そう言うのが見たかったんですよ。 楽しみにしてます! 頑張ってください!!

今 有り難うございます。

(構成.文責/OURs LITE編集部)

4 comments:

  1. i just look your fantastic blog. Could you translate other manga of ax or garo ? i am a big big big fan of kotobuki shiriagari' works, If yes contact me : d.laplagne@orange.fr
    shamo0012

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting. At the moment, I'm no longer in Tokyo, so I don't have access to Garo or AX right now. If I ever get back to Tokyo, I'll try seeing if there's any back issues in the used shops again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks man We keep posted. contact me if necessary
    shamo0012

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    My name is Jean Pierre from Ottawa, Canada. My team and I have been working on a website to help people learn Japanese in a fun and dynamic way, because we've discovered that many tend to get discouraged with language-learning.

    We would appreciate it if you'd accept to put a link to our website or in one of your articles; I'm confident that you'll find our educational blog to be of your standards and liking.

    Thank you for your time and efforts,

    - J. Pierre, from: http://japaneseottawa.com/

    ReplyDelete